- Difference between list and library?
- New features introduced in sp2010 on Lists and Libraries compared to SP2007?
- List throttling?
- External List throttling?
- Column level validations?
- How to show the documents that were created by the current user only?
- Update a SharePoint list item without changes its version?
- Difference between Update and systemupdate in SharePoint list?
- What is the default size of upload document in SharePoint?
- How to upload large size of documents to document library in SharePoint?
- Document Library name and sub site name cannot be the same. Why?
- Check in and checked out documents in SharePoint?
- How to make document changes Offline?
- How to check in all the checked out documents at once?
1. Difference between list and library?
List means: A list contains items that are collections of fields/properties/columns. Optionally each item can have one or more attachments.
Library means: A library is a list, but has one and exactly one file associated with each item. A library item also has fields/properties/columns.
Simple way to say this is that a list item has a focus on "text" stored in fields/properties/columns, while a library has a focus on a single document.
Checking option: SharePoint list doesn’t support check in and check out options but SharePoint Library supports.
Search: When the user searches for a keyword in a document, if the document is in a list then search returns the list item as the result. When the user searches for a keyword in a document, if the document is in a library then they find the document listed in the search results.
List examples: Contact lists, Task lists etc.
Library examples: Picture library, Form library etc.
2. New features introduced in sp2010 on Lists and Libraries compared to SP2007?
- Column validation.
- Enforce unique values
- Customize the form using InfoPath
- New/ updated column Types:
- Lookup fields.
- Managed metadata.
- Inline editing.
- Views by location.
3. List throttling:
4. External list throttling:
5. Column validation supports:
- Single Line of Text
- Choice (single only)
- Date & Time
6. Column validation rules:
A validation formula at the column level cannot include any other columns besides itself. For example, [Column1]> [Column2] is an invalid formula and SharePoint will not allow it to be used at the column level. In this case, you want to use list-level validation.
Column validation will not support to validate even Today function also. For example: [Column1]> [Today].
7. How to validate at list level and field level in SharePoint?
8. How to do validation if the field values don’t allow more than 8?
Formula = LEN ([REGION]) <8.
How to do validate if Due date is not greater than equal to current date [means disallow the Due date that is in past]?
Enter the [Due Date] > Today () formulae in column validation while creating the “Due Date” field.
9. What if you have both column level validation and list level validation?
The column level formulas will be evaluated first, then the list formulas.
10. What if the column and list level validations are in conflict?
Best ref: http://digsharepoint.blogspot.in/2011/06/sharepoint-2010-column-validation.html
11. How to show the documents that were created by the current user only?
You can do this using the user interface by specifying that the Created By field needed to be equal to [Me].