In this article, We will cover below mentioned topics on SharePoint Lists and libraries. please feel free to reach me if have any clarifications or more information required on it.
1) List and Library
2) site columns and List columns
3) site content type and list content type
4) Cascade Delete
5) Restrict Delete
6) Enforce uniqueness
7) Calculated columns
8) lookup columns
10) List Threshold
12) Versioning, Checked-In/Out and Publish
13) Update Vs SystemUpdate Vs UpdateOverWriteversion
14) SharePoint real-time scenarios
15) SharePoint interview questions and answers
16) Read-Only columns(Eg: Created/Created By, Modified/Modified By etc..).\
17) File URL length restriction.
Basics on the List and Libraries:
- By default, Content type option is disabled at the list/library: To enable it: Go to list/library settings-->Advanced settings--> Make it as "Yes" to allow management of content type.
- By default, Threshold limit for the user:5000 items and for administrators: 20000. These values are hard-coded at the central admin level but Microsoft recommended is should not increase/change the default threshold values to avoid the performance issues.
- Best practice to handle the threshold: 1) Indexing the columns 2) Avoid threshold exception by maintaining the data/items in a folder structure( SharePoint considers Folder is an item and we can maintain 2000 items in it).
- Always go with the internal column names(Reason: Display name can be modified but internal can't be modified) to fetch the data and update an items.
- Go with the creating site columns option rather creating it in each list/library if the same column is used in more than one lists/libraries.
- Go with the site content types option if more than one site columns needs to preferred in the each lists/libraries.
- In views, Filter by [Me] if wants to show the results of current logged user only.
- Upload size limit of files to the document library is: By default: 50MB and max 2GB(SP2013) and max 10GB(SP2016).
- The files into the library should always be in published mode to get the updated changes by others.
- By default, SharePoint recommended support for indexing is 20.
- SharePoint handles the permissions at the lists/libraries and even items level also.
- Only option to change the list/library URL is through SharePoint designer.
- By default list/library permissions are inherited from parent but we can have an option to maintain the unique permissions at it.
- We don't have an option to add users/groups directly at the lists/library level in inheritance mode. If needs, break the inheritance and then add users/groups.
- Users should have minimum "contribute" level permissions to make CRUD operation at the list/library.
- Steps to support large files upload: 1) Increase the default value(Default: 50MB and Max support: 2GB) to the desired value 2) Increase the IIS request length 3) Increase the IIS connection timeout length. https://angler.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/increase-the-sharepoint-2010-upload-file-size-limit/
Please go the below articles for complete details:
Interviews questions with answers:
Your valuable suggestions/feedback helps me to give best outputs/results.